Cataract Surgery is the leading cause of blindness and about 50% of Americans will develop it during their life! It is about time that there is a lens option that gives you the experience of customized vision after surgery without any other surgery! Undoubtingly Richens Eye Center is excited to debut this groundbreaking technology in Cataract Surgery. So what is this technology?
Firstly the RxSight™ Light Adjustable Lens is the first and only intraocular lens (IOL) that can be customized after cataract surgery. Secondly, the Light Adjustable Lens is made of a special photosensitive material that is adjusted in response to ultraviolet (UV) light. Finally, this optimization is done by your eye doctor in the weeks following lens implantation through a series of non-invasive light treatments that take only a few minutes each.
You have the unique ability to adjust and preview your vision until it meets your personal desires and lifestyle requirements. Moreover, the Light Adjustable Lens delivers superior vision outcomes that non-adjustable IOLs cannot match.
What is the Light Adjustable Lens?
The Light Adjustable Lens is a completely customizable solution to Cataracts that will put you in control of your vision. RxSIGHT's new lens puts you in the driver's seat allowing you to change your lens prescription up to 3 times post-surgery! Unlike other lenses, you no longer have to hope that your vision will be great now you can test drive your vision until you find it just right. Are you ready for this? Call us today!
The Procedure - What to Expect
- First Dr. Richens will make a microscopic incision through which the cataract is removed.
- The incision seals itself naturally and allows for comfortable and rapid healing.
- Secondly, through the same incision is inserted the artificial lens, this is the light adjustable lens.
- Thirdly, after the lens has been inserted it will be positioned to fit comfortably within your eye.
- Lastly, you go home to rest and let your eye heal up before we do the adjustments.
- Make sure to wear your UV protection glasses at all times!
Adjustments - How it Works
A few weeks after your surgery you will come in for a dilated exam to check your vision. This will show us the best option for adjusting your vision to get even better results. When the best adjustment has been decided on you will sit down at the RxSIGHT light adjustment device to be adjusted.
The Adjustment typically only takes 90 seconds where an ultraviolet (UV) light is directed into your eye.
For the next few days, you will continue to wear protective glasses and try out your vision. Do what you would normally do and take note of what you like or don't like. When you are ready you will come back and repeat the process.
This will continue up to 3 times unless you are satisfied at which time you will "lock" in your customized vision! Enjoy the time you have to test drive your vision, and do all that you love to do in order to know what needs adjusting for you to continue to enjoy those things.
Congratulations on your AMAZING new vision!
Benefits of RxSIGHT Light Adjustable Lens
- Customized Vision After Cataract Surgery
- Unique ability to preview & compare possible vision outcomes based on preferences and lifestyle requirements
- Quick recovery time
- Light treatments are painless, non-invasive, and quick
- Special lens material designed by Nobel Prize-winning scientist Robert H. Grubbs
- Takes guesswork out of the equation, giving you the best possible outcome
- Reduced likelihood of myopia/hyperopia
- Reduction of astigmatism after surgery
UV Protective Glasses
After your cataract surgery it is important that you wear the complimentary UV protective glasses during all waking hours. This is important as exposure to indoor and outdoor sources of UV light can cause uncontrolled changes to the lens. The clear pair must be worn indoors while the tinted pair is for all outdoor/bright sunlight conditions. These can be removed to sleep, shower, washing your face, or applying eye drops so long as there is no direct sunlight exposure.
Schedule a Cataract Consultation in St. George and Mesquite
To schedule a consultation or to learn more information about the Light Adjustable Lens, contact us today at any of our three locations. While we proudly serve St. George, UT, Mesquite, NV, and the surrounding areas, all surgeries & subsequent adjustments are only completed at our St. George location.